Rulings of an Aqiqah: (7) Bid’aa / Innovation – STAY WELL
Narrated by Asma' bint Abu Bakr: “I conceived 'Abdullah bin AzZubair at
Mecca and went out
(of Mecca) while I was about to give birth. I came to Medina and encamped at Quba', and gave birth at
Quba'. Then I brought the child to Allah's Apostle and placed it (on his lap). He
asked for a date, chewed it, and put his saliva in the mouth of the child” (Bukhaari)
(1) Smearing the child with blood à BID’AA!
(2) Reciting the iqaamah in the child's left ear à BID’AA!
(3) Doing the ‘Tahnik’ – this was done by the
prophet (sa) where he chewed a date and then applied his saliva in the baby's
There are two opinions to this by the scholars
about the Tahnik:
1. Some scholars say you can do the Tahnik, but
only from a righteous man.
2. Some scholars say that this action
is done exclusively for the Prophet Muhammad (sa), and we should not do it.